Monday 4 April 2011

M&P Jelly Roll

When I started making soap I only made Cold Process. A year after making my first CP batch I tried M & P and hated it. A year later I tried again and now I love it. It is a versatile, fun, easy way to make soap but without the fuss.
Today I am going to show you how make a scroll/jelly roll and then "insert" it in the middle of a round soap.
MP Jelly Roll-007
MP Jelly Roll-006 (2)

You will need:
  • Clear Melt and Pour soap base and opaque/white base
  • Liquid glycerine
  • Microwave jugs
  • Colour for your soap
  • Fragrance/ Essential oil 
  • Spoon to stir - I use a Chop stick
  • Square brownie silicone mould 
  • Round soap mould - I used a drain pipe
  • Alcohol ( not for drinking) You want rubbing alcohol or similar to spray away bubbles
 
METHOD:
Part 1
  1. Place you clear Melt and Pour into your microwave jug and melt in short 10-20 second bursts in the microwave
  2. Put about 2 tsp of liquid glycerine into the soap base - this helps make it a little more pliable
  3. Once it is all melted pour enough of the soap into the brownie mould to be about 0.5cm high
  4. Spay the newly poured soap with alcohol
  5. Let the soap sit for about 8-10 minutes. This is quite tricky as you don't want to leave the soap too long or it will be too hard and not long enough and it will be too soft. 
  6. Once the soap is hard but flexible remove it from the mould and roll it up gently into a scroll. Tip - I place the soap "sheet" on a piece of paper and roll up the paper, then pull the paper out sideways.
MP Jelly Roll-008 (2)
Once you have rolled your soap let it sit for 1-2 hours until it is really nice and hard.
 
Part 2
  1. Place your white/ opaque Melt and Pour into another microwave jug and melt in short bursts in the microwave.
  2. When it is all melted add your colour, I added 2 drops pink and 1 drop blue to give me a lavender shade.
  3. Add your fragrance or essential oils - I use between 1-2 % depending on how strong the oil is and how strong I want my soap to smell.
  4. While the coloured soap is cooling, spray alcohol onto your scroll/ jelly roll and place it into the middle of your round mould. I used a down/drain pipe. 
  5. Make sure your soap has cooled nicely and pour it into the mould making sure you have no air bubbles. Spray the soap with alcohol to remove any bubbles
  6. Wait for the soap to cool. This time will vary but about 2 hours. 
  7. Once cool remove from the mould and cut. I actually use the mould as a guide when I am cutting.
MP Jelly Roll (2)   MP Jelly Roll-001 (2)

MP Jelly Roll-005   MP Jelly Roll-004 (2)

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you gave M&P a second try. I like MP for the flexibility and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I have to agree with you about flexibility but unless you have practise or someone shows you the basics it is not as easy as it looks.
    LOVE your blog by the way. I really like your post re. online shop/sales

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...