Welcome to ME!!
I will be entertaining you for the next 6 months and giving Odie a well-deserved break.
I feel more confident working with HP (hot process) soaps, but am learning the art of Melt and Pour (M and P) and invite you to enjoy the journey with me.
I was requested to join a mailing list and received my very first Soap Kit from the Soap Barn in Johannesburg, SA.
You will need:
- Moulds of 80g each (calculated by filling the mould with water and weighing it before and after)
- Soap colouring of choice (I used red)
- Fragrance of choice (I used Grapefruit)
- Opaque M and P soap base
- Jugs, stirrers, scale, spraying alcohol, micro-wave
- Chop M and P into jug, and melt in 30 second bursts until just liquid
- Add colour drop by drop and stir until desired tone achieved - be cautious!
- Add fragrance - guideline 2% of soap weight and stir (see TIP below!)
- Pour gently into positioned mould (see TIP below!)
- Spritz immediately with alcohol to remove obvious bubbles
- When cooled (approximately 60 minutes) turn mould upside down and gently press to remove soap - if resisting, leave for a further 10 minutes
- Stand back and admire!
- REMEMBER to position your mould where it can remain unmoved for the cooling time. DO NOT MOVE!
- To gauge whether your soap is ready to pour or not, hold jug firmly between hands and it should be a comfortable heat. Allow it to form a thin skin, 'pull' to the side with your stirrer and pour.
- DO NOT FILL your mould, allow a 2mm space as this will assist when demoulding.