Monday, 29 April 2013

Leopard Spots - Soap challenge week 4

Leopard spots

This is so sad - the last challenge with Amy from Great Cakes Soapworks.and the rest of the world who joined in.

This was fun to do but I must say I had a few things test me.

  • Make sure you plan your project from colour to pouring to cutting BEFORE you start. I did my stripes the wrong way so had to cut my soap differently to make sure I had spots in the soap.
  • Make sure your piping soap is thick enough. Mine was too runny and I made a BIG mess. I had a great fragrance Cassanova that allowed me a long time to work.
  • Have fun with your colours. I was a little conservative using Brown pigment and Titanium Di Oxide

See the video on Youtube here.

Pin It!

Riverlea Soap


Sunday, 21 April 2013

Soap Challenge, Mica Tops - Week 3

I am LOVING all the challenges, thanks Amy from Great Cakes Soapworks.


This was really a fun challenge and I learned a new technique which I really love and will definitely do more of. I love the shine of the mica on the top of the soap but I will add more next time. I think I was a little conservative. More is better.

You can see the short video here

Pin It! 

Riverlea Soap

Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Swirling M&P soap

A few weeks ago I posted about swirling Melt and Pour and I promised to show the video making it. I started the soap challenge with Amy from Great Cakes soapworks  and so I didn't post this as promised. Well here it is.

DSCN0009 DSCN0014 (2) DSCN0018

You can see the video here. I hope you don't get see sick - the angle is a little off.

Pin It!

Riverlea Soap

Monday, 8 April 2013

Pumpkin festival - What fun

Yesterday was the annual pumpkin festival in our area and as you can see there were a lot of fun entries. Mine is the tiny one on top of the VERY large one. I cheated a bit because mine is actually a SOAP. But hey they didn't specify that it had to be edible!

pumpkin market 027.R. JPG

See here how I made the soap:

I decided to make a a mould for my pumpkin soap as I did not have time to search for one. I used a plastic pumpkin that I had bought last year for a photo prop. I am glad it came in handy again.

I used a different product to make my mould this time. It is something called Flexy Fast moulding putty and you can buy it from Bramble berry. I have to say it is not the easiest stuff to work with and OMG is it sticky. I think I read somewhere that I should not use silicone gloves. So with this in mind I used silicone gloves. What a mess.

DSCN0001 (2)DSCN0001 (3)DSCN0002 (3)

The cute little pumpkin that I based my mould on. Mixing part A and part B

DSCN0003 (2)DSCN0006 (2)DSCN0008 (2)

Mixing and mixing then realising it was really sticking to the gloves.

DSCN0009 (2)DSCN0010 (2)DSCN0011 (2)

No way was I going to waste it so I took an old knife and scraped it all off the gloves.

DSCN0014 (2)DSCN0015 (2)DSCN0016 (2)

The knife worked so well I decided to use it to mix with, so I scraped it all onto a piece of brown paper and mixed away. Much easier.

DSCN0017 (2)DSCN0020 (2)DSCN0021 (2)

I then used the knife to spread it onto the plastic pumpkin and then I moulded it so it was evenly distributed.

DSCN0001 (7)DSCN0022 (2)DSCN0023 (2)

I left a hole at the top - which would be the bottom of the pumpkin when made up.


I have to say this was fun but pretty messy. I am sure I probably did something wrong - hence the mess. But all's well that ends well.

You can also see my other mould making escapades here, here and here. There are also some textured moulds here 

Pin It!

Riverlea Soap

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...